Sunday, June 14, 2009

I've uploaded a short video of one of the guided castle tours before we left Tours. I think this castle is Blois- enjoy!

Thursday, April 11th 2008
So this morning I'll be getting an early start. My train doesn't leave until 12:09, so that gives me about 4 hours to get ready. Perfect! (side note- pain d'epices is very good! :D) I looked online last night, and it looks like one of the best deals for switching my ticket would be May 19th- which is about 530 Euro or something around there. Since there is a 200-Euro fee for changing the ticket, it should equal out to be about the same after the exchange. The cheaper ticket is for flying into Chicago, so that would mean I'd have to buy an Amtrak ticket from Chi-town to Detroit as well. And switch the train from besancon to Paris the day before my flight. I think it would be with the trouble if it means not spending an extra 10-days worth of money on food supplies that I could be saving instead for rent when I get back to K-zoo.



12:19 p.m.
So Nikki, Sarah, Andy and I are sitting here on the train, on our way to Paris from Tours. Nikki and I are going to our hotel (Luna Park) straight from the Gare Montparnasse. I looked up Aunt Kay's house this morning on Mapquest and tried calling her to see when I should visit, but no answer. I'll have to try again later.
I'm glad I have this "let's go France on a Budget" book- it is chock full of tips on everything a visitor can do in France without spending a lot of money, from dining out to ballets and operas to museums and cemeteries. Soon I'm going to write a schedule for my week and take as much advantage as I can of this beautiful country.
I just talked a bit to the others- they think I should just stay in Besac the extra 10 days and forget about changing my flight. It does make more sense- because the earlier flight has me flying into Chicago- so I'd essentially have to spend as much money on a train ticket to Detroit as I would be supporting myself in Besac. Okay, decision made. I'm going to stay. Maybe I'll also visit Dijon! I'll buy some mustard as a souvenir. Cheap and delish. (mental note- on next trip, bring a backpack- it's such a common-sense thing, but I forgot to pack one. It'd have been so much easier maneuvering around Tours and Paris with a lighter suitcase. I get nervous whenever people stand in front of our suitcases on this train. People literally just chill out on the floor right there and it drives me crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment