Monday, November 30, 2009

It's beginning to (feel) a lot like Chris-tmas...

...mostly because of the colder weather we've been having, but also the streets of France are decked out in Christmas lights. It's a wonder to walk along the streets at night with your roommate, demi-bottle of white wine in hand, under the lit-up side streets. I can't think of a better way to pass the time while waiting for a train to come.

Amy and I went to Bordeaux two days ago, for the entire day. I got some Christmas shopping done, and got to take in the city I've been meaning to visit for a long time. It was a long day, but I got some great pictures and was definitely convinced that I need to go back for a second trip soon. We stopped in the museum of Aquitaine, shopped down Rue St. Catherine (the "Champs Elysees" of Bordeaux) and walked along the Garonne river. It was pretty chilly, thankfully the rain had stopped by the time we arrived but it was still a bit wet. We almost went ice skating but after noticing that the rink had about an inch of water lining the ice, we decided we'd pass. You could easily tell who had fallen thanks to the water marks on everyones bums. (I tried not to stare). But there was one guy skating around and he looked like he knew what he was doing, or anyway like he'd been placed there to advertise the rink, because he was singing along to the (American) music that was projecting out and giving the eye to every female mammal that walked by. So...my stare might have lingered a little longer on his bum. And no, there were no water marks.

Aside from those fun-filled activities, I've begun the search for some more interesting lessons to do with my students. I've started working with PostSecret images and discussing them in my classes, having the students make sense of what is written on each card and then following it up with a "how does this secret make you feel" discussion. I'm hesitating to give them the link to the website, because at times the secrets can be a bit risqué. But, I feel like with the way they snog out in front of the school anyway, sex isn't really that taboo for them. Even the younger ones.

I'm getting ready for Paris this coming weekend. My sister and I are going to spend time together, sipping tea in the cafes (coffee in my case) and walking around like two old women, commenting on everything we pass by and just enjoying each others' company. Staying in Mark's (sister's fiancé's) godfather's studio will be a nice change from paying too much for a small hotel where you can't stretch your arms out in the shower. But in any case, shower or no shower, I'm ready to see my sister!

1 comment:

  1. Using PostSecret is an awesome idea, I may have to steal it from you!

    I'm going to be in Paris this weekend, myself. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete