Monday, November 16, 2009

Thoughts on life after the assistantship.

So, as I am only working twelve hours a week, I have a lot of extra time to do whatever I choose. Thus, I've found a few things to keep me busy:
1. Apply for grad schools
As this is about the time that I should be getting my stuff together for next fall, I've begun researching graduate schools back in the USA (and a few in Canada) to get my Master's degree in Theatre Education. I'm leaning towards a specialization in Voice & Speech, as knowing extra languages are always a plus, and I just have an overall general interest in this area of theatre. I'm updating my resume, making lists of potential universities, and starting to write motivation letters already, because some of the deadlines are as early as December 1st for entry into the Fall programs. I've thought about getting an MFA in Acting (which doesn't necessarily always require a BFA in Acting in undergrad), but I think I'd feel more secure and there would be more of a need for teachers with specific training in a certain area instead of just a bunch of acting classes. This way, I can get my MA, and still teach (but go from teaching english here to Theatre aux Etats-Unis). I'm looking so far at a few Universities in Boston, California, and Canada.
2. Take tap lessons from an amazing dancer from Switzerland who runs his own company!
This is something I've always wanted to do because this is probably my favorite style of dance to watch. It's super difficult already and I've only been to one lesson (but he's been extremely patient with me and realizes that I haven't been tapping since I was 2.5 like most dancer girls I know.) My teacher (friend)'s name is Laurent, and he's here in Agen studying theatre for a semester until he has to go back to Switzerland to prepare his company for a performance in Russia. I'm his first student here in France and he said he's happy to be teaching again (even though i'm sure he's used to teaching much more experienced dancers). Yesterday we worked for an hour and I was shown just how out of shape I really am. Looks like I'm going to have to start up the jogging routine again to keep up with him!
3. Shop, travel, and eat.
Of course I've been doing a handful of the latter two, which is where most of my money is going at the moment. I'm in the process of discussing Christmas plans with Michelle (sister), and right now we're looking at Paris or the Southeast coast (Nice, Avignon, Marseille, et cetera). Things are still in the works, so if any readers have any input/ideas as to where the ideal place to spend Christmas in Europe would be, your comments are welcome/appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment