Monday, September 28, 2009

Train down to Aiguillon


18.9.09- 13:23 (Gare Montparnasse, Paris)
So I’m here at the train station a bit early- I’ve got about 45 minutes before my train is due to arrive. It seemed like my bags were a bit heavier this time around (maybe because my muscles are still weak from arriving, or it could be the bottle of white wine I bought that’s weighing them down. Maybe it’s the apples and grapes I bought from the marché. Who knows!
Today I went to the Jardin des Plantes, visited the Sorbonne (didn’t go inside though) and saw the Panthéon. It was right around then that I decided I’d better find the closest metro so I could check out of Luna Park. I didn’t expect it to take so long to find one!
Paris has officially rubbed in my face the fact that I am really out of shape. Even when I’m not lugging my bags around everywhere, I’m still sweating bullets. This is solid proof that I need to get back into my running habit, and fast!


Same day- 14:07
Now that I’m on the train, I can write without worry. I’m pretty excited to finally be heading to the Aquitaine region. Don’t get me wrong- I loved Paris, but until I find a job there my trips will always be short term.
(side note- I think I forgot to pack my other new pair of jeans. Oh, well- they were a little big on my anyway.)
16:12
So I never went into detail about Sacré Coeur and everything else I did yesterday. I absolutely adored the church- it was beautifully constructed inside and out with a magnificent painting/etching sort of business going on in the front. I would’ve stayed a great deal longer had it not been for Mr. Sleaze-bag who followed me around as I was touring the church and had the gall to interrupt me as I was having a very peaceful moment in the pews. I left almost immediately after that. I just can’t enjoy myself when there are horny men following me around everywhere.
Aside from that, the trek up to the church was tough in and of itself. The church is conveniently placed on top of a steep hill that will really test your stamina once you decide to head to the top. I was panting & sweating near the end but you could plainly tell who was either an athlete or just French by seeing if they were stuggling & sweating as much as I was.
The one other annoyance one has to watch out for are the men who stand in your way as you try to climb the hill that leads up to the church. They try to tie a “bracelet” to your finger, and when you can’t get it off, they ask (demand) for payment. It’s really pretty obnoxious. Even if you just try to ignore them, they’ll push you away and swear at you. If there’s one way to attract better business, that’s most definitely not it.
The cobblestone road leading up to Sacré Coeur is as crowded as it is adorable. The rue was lined heavily with all kinds of tourist shops/typical French cafés & crêperies to lure in hungry travelers. I only stopped to buy a couple of cheap postcards for friends and family as they were 20 centimes a piece, as opposed to 1 euro apiece (the cards I bought by my metro stop near the hotel). Being in Montmartre reminded me of the movie Amélie, but I got to actually experience its sleaziness firsthand this time instead of waching it happen in a movie.
As it usually always is, the noisiest family is sitting directly behind me. My friend Kirk would get a good laugh if he were here right now. He’s been around when we’ve gone to lectures at the University and the chattiest people always sit in my general area.
We’ve just passed through Poitiers, so it appears we’re about halfway to Bordeaux from Paris (or more). Then it’ll be a short trip from Bordeaux proper to Aiguillon. I don’t know exactly how much of the city I’ll get to see today due to my legs being en panne and the things that I need to do (bank account, laundry, groceries, etc) but I’ve got 7 months to tour the p’tite ville de 4,500 people. It’s going to be quite the change from the 2-million some people in Paris. But who knows- I’ve never lived in a town this small before, it could be something I really enjoy. I just hope I can still get the keys to my apartment today (even though I’ll be arriving about 2 hours later than my contact expects me). Whatever, it’s France. If he has a problem, I’ll just give him a big, drawn-out French shrug and a “meh”. If the keys don’t come today, I’ll be crossing my fingers for a cheap hotel or hostel. Anywhere is cheaper than Paris! I’m really very happy for the change in atmosphere from the States. Although I’d love to have my family here, I am beginning to enjoy this whole “being independent” thing, and will enjoy it 1,000 times more when I get my 1st paycheck. Which reminds me, I need to fill out the paperwork for my cash advance. I don’t know how long my weak American money can last in Europe...

No comments:

Post a Comment