Monday, September 28, 2009

Arrival in France!

Well, I’ve just arrived in Paris! I’m here for 7 months this time. I’ll be teaching English as an assistant in a small town called Aiguillon (pop. 4,500). I’m looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life, but most importantly from here on out I will be self-sufficient. This is a big turning point in my life, and I’m both excited and a bit scared. I’m currently a bit worn out from getting over a cold/lugging my bags all over Paris trying to find my hotel. I wasn’t expecting it to be this chilly- I should’ve worn a sweater!
A few other things on my to-do list today include visiting Sacré-Coeur, Musées Rodin and Picasso, and other such touristy ventures. I just read an e-mail from my contact (Stéphane) who tells me my apartment won’t be ready until Monday the 21st- which means I’ll need to crash somewhere for another two nights! I could either stay at the same hotel (which is about 39 euro/night, if they even have space) or Charlan B & B (run by two Brits in Aiguillon) for 50 euro/night, or stay in a youth hostel. I really don’t like the idea of a Parisian hostel, as it is probably dirty/sleazy. Bedbugs are also something to look out for.

Same day- 17:10
I feel much better after a good nap to shoo away the jetlag and a quick shower (although very cramped!) I’m now at a café I’ve been to before in the 11th arrondissement (a familiar part of Paris, by my hotel). I’m trying unsuccessfully to connect to the internet, but without much luck.

Same day- 21:27
Here’s my update since I last wrote: I found the internet at McDonald’s (go figure) so I quickly sent a few e-mails and then went to buy a new phone. I wasn’t planning on having to get a whole new phone, just maybe a new battery- but they told me it was kaput. So I bought a Nokia for 39 euro (which already seems a bit better than my old phone I got for 20 euro) but I can only use it to keep time for now until I get a new SIM card (yeah, apparently I need a new one of those, too- so much for bringing my old one with me! :-/) Anyway, hopefully this one will last a bit longer. I bought a Paris Visite card for the next 2 days so I can squeeze in as much as I want with the time I have left. I’m going to buy my ticket to Aiguillon tomorrow @ Gare du Nord, whether or not Stéphane says the apartment is clean! I just don’t have the money to stay another two nights in Paris. Which reminds me...I have to tell the innkeeper that I don’t need those two nights after all. Hopefully he didn’t already charge me! :D
::nervous laugh::

No comments:

Post a Comment