Wednesday, January 13, 2010

(Insert witty subject line here)

Day 3 of my cold. I've been sick since Monday, on medication, and already missed the first two work days this week. Today, I went in (only have one class- the 3emes) knowing that it'd be an easy day, my other class for the day was canceled (I think the teacher is sick too). It went as any normal day in France teaching goes- waited for the teacher to come with the students in the hallway for about 5 minutes, realized she was late, took the whole class in and started a game with them. We ended up doing the game the whole hour- would've taken about twenty minutes if the kids actually followed instructions, but 1/4 of them were talking the whole period and about 1/4 of them just didn't write anything down at all. It was a super simple game, you write your name in the middle of the white board and circle it. You have 5 branches coming off of that circle with random things (I used my zip code, my age, my dog's name, my sister's name, and the city I'm from). The rest of the class has to guess what each word or number means by asking the appropriate question in English. Such as: "Is 48382 your postal code?" or "is Michelle your sister?" No matter how many times I had to correct them (they usually said things like "Michelle eez your sistehr?" they didn't seem to want to correct their mistakes (give or take two students who are probably the best in the class). I wanted to pull these two chatty girls out by their ears into the hallways and leave them there for the period, but something told me that might not be the best way to handle things. The funny thing about these students is, even though I announced loud and clear (in French) in the beginning of class that I just got over a bad cold and can't yell because it hurts my throat, they were just as loud as if I didn't say anything at all. It's times like this that I can't wait to try my hand at teaching University students just to know what it's like to have students that listen and care!

2 comments:

  1. From what I've heard (I have a few friends in permanent posts at the IUFM, etc, who work with college students), the "kids" at the university are no better!

    Sorry you're sick. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did the assistantship and now am a TA at my uni, and I can confirm that only a handful of the students actually listen and care.

    ReplyDelete