Friday, October 23, 2009

Let les vacances de Toussaint begin!

So, I've had my last class of the week today and now i'm officially free for the next week and a half for Toussaint. God bless France and their long vacations.
Only thing is, I have to wait until I get paid to go anywhere! I should be geting my cash advance within the next week (hopefully even sooner than that) so Bordeaux isn't too far away. I'm going to go back to Agen to work with Peter again in the business school Sud Management (Peter is one of my colleagues who teaches English with a focus on History and Geography). He's asked me and my roomate Amy to tag along with him and help out at the school there, which is for college-aged students who are interested in developing a career in business or management. We'll be helping the students with their English projects, particularly a fundraiser that they have coming up in order to raise money for their trip to England next year. We've already brainstormed ideas with them, and they've thought of everything from hosting a fashion show to presenting an outdoor play/spectacle, and Peter asked me if I could help with the group who is looking to get the play going. Of course I accepted, and will be meeting them this coming Thursday to see what they had in mind.

The dialogues that i'd been using in class went well, but I'm getting the feeling that my Terminales are a bit "over" that sort of thing and they seem almost like they'd rather just do the normal reading documents and responding to them instead of going outside the box. The younger ones were a bit more into it and seemed to really have fun with it, but it's either too early in the morning for the Terminales or they just don't really care enough to dig into their creative energy. I'm going to ask the other English profs what's worked with them for their 18-year olds and hopefully i'll get some ideas. I've already printed out a few current even articles which I plan on copying and bringing to class for them, we'll see how that goes.

I stopped by the marché this morning and I'm always shocked to see how cheap it is for the fresh, delicious food I can buy right in front of my doorstep. Why can't it be like that in Michigan?

Michelle, my sister, and her fiancé Mark are going to be visiting Aiguillon in December, so i'm looking forward to having them as guests! I'll be going back to Paris early December because Mark's uncle has an apartment there where the two of them work together on research projects. I don't know yet whether I'll be staying in the studio when I visit, or another hotel (probably not the same one again, i'd like to have my own toilet and shower where I can stretch my arms out without hitting the wall!) But in any case, i'm looking forward to their visit.

The car search is still on. I've called a new number today about another white manual I saw in front of the grocery store yesterday, which is going for 700. It looks to be about the same age as the one Clare (the former assistant) is selling, so if she successfully sells her car I may call the guy back and ask for more information. The only thing is, I don't know too much about cars (let alone manuals) so I'd be better off finding a French car-savvy friend to bring with me before I make the decision to make sure i'm getting my money's worth.

Until then, it's the train that i'll be using (which really isn't all that bad aside from the lousy schedule and the strikes).

No comments:

Post a Comment