Saturday, February 13, 2010

As per request.

I have been unfaithful to my blog recently, and have decided to give it the attention it deserves.
For a bit, I was considering continuing the blog with "Vlogs", or video blogs, since I do have a webcam and can easily upload a video on here (it just takes some time). I feel, though, that I can express myself more accurately in writing, because I am given time to think about my words and edit them when necessary. Vlogs are fun, but I like seeing my ideas categorized and written out.

Recently, I've been trying to figure out what I'd want to do with my upcoming vacation, coming in about a week. I'm thinking of going back to Paris to see my friend Nikki who is studying at a University there, while living with her husband. It will be great to see another familiar face, it always gives me a sense of being home. I've found this article on free things to do in Paris, so I'll be studying that before my next trip up north.

Recently on CNN.com, I've been finding lots of articles on France. They seem to be mainly culture-promoting articles, funded by the government. There are a few "i-Report" articles as well, but I couldn't find anything relating to the area where I'm staying. Maybe I'll submit some of my own amateur photography and articles to the site, and see if they are approved. It seems like a cool idea, because not many people have heard about the Lot-et-Garonne (the region in which I'm staying) or for that matter, Aiguillon. I do have quite a bit of extra time, perhaps I will make some submissions with the documentation I've already completed.

Lucille, my student in Terminale who I've been having English conversation practice with, had her interview this morning in Bordeaux. I'm going to ask her how she did on Tuesday when I have her in class. I feel like she's improved a lot in the two weeks we've been talking, and she showed a lot more self-confidence yesterday, during our last conversation before her interview. I sincerely hope she is accepted into the Au-Pair program, she obviously wants it and is passionate for working with children. I will update when I hear her news.

Last night I was invited to eat at another colleague's house for dinner- Claire, another English teacher, had me over and served up a wonderful meal of foie gras, confit de canard, potatoes, wine, salad/cheese, and homemade chocolate cake. They got the duck from a friend of theirs, who raises the animals on his own land. I mistakenly thought the duck was "very fresh" because of this, but confit de canard actually takes a lot of time to prepare and thus, is not fresh. Because the duck is basically marinating in its own fat, (which can be for up to a year in a properly sealed glass jar), the meat absorbs the flavor (as does the skin, which is left on) and makes for a very delicous, appetizing entrée. The skin is the fattiest part, and one is not expected to eat it, but the meat itself is flavorful and incomparable to any meat I've eaten before.
Claire's beautiful children, Bastien (3) and Léo(1), were excitedly running around their house when I came in. There was a lot of joyful squealing and cooing from Léo, who, might I add, has the most gorgeous big eyes and curly hair. He would toddle up to my side when I was sitting at the table and rest his head against me, while drooling and sucking on his fingers. I was biting my lip trying to fight back the cuteness, but Léo won me over and I had to just sit back and admire the beauty of childhood. Bastien was full of nervous energy and was contented while the three of us ate (Claire, her husband and I) with a Pink Panther video playing in the background. This brought up memories of my family watching the older, Peter Sellers version of Pink Panther (not the recent movies with Steve Martin) and I told Claire she'd have to see these movies as they, to me, are classics.

Tonight I am going to another dinner with my newest colleague, Laleeta, who started teaching in January. She is preparing Indian food tonight, as she has Indian ancestry. I believe her grown kids will be there as well, and perhaps her father. I've bought a bottle of red wine to bring over, but now that I think about it, I believe a white moelleux would have been more appropriate with Indian food. Maybe I'll stop back at the store before I head out, around 4 this afternoon.

I still have to take a shower and get some reading in today. I've been slacking on my reading because of the graduate school applications I've been hurriedly trying to complete before the deadline for Fall admission. I'm just waiting now for the 2 recommendation letters to be submitted, and hopefully by March I'll start to receive some responses. Will be thinking nothing but positive thoughts until then.

1 comment:

  1. nice blog
    wish to be friends ,,,
    why don`t u join me on the World United Bloggers ?

    ReplyDelete